Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Why I LOVE all things Nordic



No, not this! But just about everything else...


The Nordic countries make up a region in Northern Europe and the North Atlantic which consists of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden (all of which use a Nordic Cross flag) and their associated territories which include the Faroe Islands, Greenland, Svalbard and Ă…land. Scandinavia is sometimes used as a synonym for the Nordic countries, although within the Nordic countries the terms are considered distinct.

I am consistently impressed by Nordic culture. From their amazingly creative, fun, and edgy sense of fashion to their political culture, the way they live seems so progressive, smart, and beautiful. In addition, I think some of the best music in the world has been coming out these countries for awhile now. I can't even tell you how many Nordic bands I've posted on DCDM since I began last year. Even movies. Anyone heard of 'Let the Right One In'?

So maybe instead of NYC or Portland, I will move to Denmark or Sweden!?

Probs not, considering I would never even begin to be able to grasp those crazy languages! Instead I will appreciate their culture from afar. I feel like our country could learn a thing or two from these (what seems to be) very nice, happy people.


Music:



Jonsi (Iceland) - Maybe a bit creepy in the looks department, Jonsi's music is fantastic. Prior to going solo, Jonsi was a member of Royskopp (another awesome Nordic band). Not kidding, this is probably some of the most original, whimsical, and just plain pretty music I have ever heard.



Robyn (Sweden) - Pop perfection, fun lyrics, amazing aesthetic everything. Robyn fucking rules. I have loved Robyn for a long time, remember 'Show Me Love'? Yeah, that was my jam in 6th grade. Robyn's music has come a long way and now exists in a dance-pop-electro-ish world of its own. I love her voice. I love her style. I love everything about her.


And the list goes on and on: Fever Ray, Teddybears, Lykke Li, The Knife, Kent, Bjork, Jens Lekman, and pretty much all metal ever.


Fashion:


I originally thought that Stockholm Street Style and Copenhagen Street Style were blogs mainly made up of pictures taken of a few very trendy people in particular places and that wasn't what real life was like in these countries. However, my recent following of a blog done by a regular girl living in Sweden has shown me otherwise. It's no surprise that this is where H&M came from. The people in Nordic countries seem to be fearless when it comes to clothing and I love it.



Political Culture & Bik
es:

There are three major pillars of the modern Nordic welfare state: social security, health care and free education. Health care and social security ensure a high minimum living standard for all citizens regardless of their economic situation. The free education maximizes the social mobility, and strives to make it possible for everyone to better themselves, without relying on economic support from their families.

Despite the expectations of its critics, the Nordic countries have strong economies, a high standard of living, low crime rates and are democracies. - via Wikipedia

So basically, they have amazing social programs and yet still manage to maintain free markets and high standards of living. SHOCKING.

They also ride bikes EVERYWHERE!




Basically I'm a huge fan and I just wanted to share my love.

***update**** I met a guy named 'Marcius' from Norway this past weekend and had the most exciting conversation about Nordic culture. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

shallow and awesome.